Creating a website these days is much more than just putting together some text and images on a page and publishing it. Every single step must be well thought out and planned to achieve a flawless result.
Are you planning to create your own website for your business, but don't quite know where to start? We have prepared a web design checklist for you in the form of questions.
There you will find all the important information and steps you should take when designing your new website - whether you are a layman or a professional web designer.
Checklist web design - a checklist for web designers
- What are your goals for your website?
- What expectations do you have of your site?
- Do you already have a logo for your business?
- Is there a business slogan?
- Which target group(s) is your business designed for?
- How old is (most of) this?
- Are these more women or more men (or mixed)?
- Are there barriers such as visual impairment among the users?
- What is the level of education?
- Do only people in German-speaking countries read your site or also outside?
- How to make your site popular (Developing online marketing strategies)
- Do you prefer to design and develop your site yourself or will you get help?
- Do you want to work with content management systems or would you rather not?
- What is your budget? (Creation, design, possibly Google Ads etc.)
- Which domain name would suit your business?
- Have you already applied for this domain?
- Which web hosting suits your planning and design of the site?
- What products or services will you offer your visitors?
- What makes your products or services unique?
- How do they stand out from your competition?
Elaboration of the design
- What colours and fonts do you plan to use?
- Which ones in no case?
- What colours and fonts suit your business?
- Is there anything you particularly like or don't like at all about other sites?
- How do you envisage the design of your future website?
- What style do you want to follow in your design?
- What should the navigation on your page look like and what should be listed on it?
Development of the contents
- Are special tools necessary for your website? (e.g. for multilingualism, online shop etc.)
- How will you get in touch with your customers? (e.g. newsletter, contact form, online live chat etc.)
- Depending on the level of education of your customers: Do your readers need additional information about a particular content or offer in order to understand it?
- Are you on a first-name basis with your future customers online?
- Which graphics or images should be on your page? How do you get them?
Elaboration of the design
- Create a rough draft of the design (incl. colours, fonts etc.)
- Optimise this design and see if everything fits together
- Does the design match the slogan of your company?
Creating the contents
- Formulate your well-researched content for each page
- Write a contact page that About Us Page and the imprint
- Insert your images and text in the right places
- Design the entire structure of your website at this point
- A very important point in copywriting is above all search engine optimisation. Be sure to familiarise yourself with the basics of SEO and ranking.
- Optimise your texts accordingly
Execution of the website
- View the website design in its entirety
- How do you like the overall look of the website?
- Now check whether your website is complete and whether all the desired content is present.
- Does your entire website fit your target group?
- Please also make sure to check spelling and grammar!
Final check, publication, maintenance
- The last changes are made
- Your new website is published
- Make sure that the page is optimised in the future as well
- Register your website with Google Analytics and Google My Business
Advertising/marketing for the company
- Implement (online) marketing strategy
- Advertising on social media, via ads or in newspapers/magazines
- Create company stationery (business cards and letterhead) and email signature
Conclusion on the web design checklist - more than just design
A website can only be successful if it is well planned beforehand. If you follow this checklist and continue to maintain and optimise your site after publication, this is a recipe for success on the Internet.
Checklists are a great concept to use when you get stuck. At this point, we hope that the list we have provided will help you in the creation of your new website.
If you don't want to do all the planning and design on your own, we'll be happy to help you with your project and assist you with any problems. With the web design checklist to a profitable website.
More articles on web design
Web design tools - useful tools for web designers
Web design tips for a beautiful website
Web design terms at a glance
The web design checklist for your website
Web design services - Our services
Web design trends - the most important trends in 2022
Interactive web design - Interactive content
Responsive Web Design - What does Responsive mean?
Professional web design for companies
Webdesign Onlineshop - Design in the webshop